Wednesday, January 16, 2013

9/11

Even though I was only in first grade on September 11, 2001, I have some vivid memories of changes in security (in airports and other public venues) as well as American culture as a whole.  When I was young, especially in kindergarden and first grade, I traveled quite a bit with my parents on business.  Before 9/11, traveling by plane was significantly less stressful, not to mention time consuming.  Family and friends could walk you to (or meet you at) your gate and arriving at the airport an hour before your flight was fairly reasonable.  I went to Chicago with my mom and grandmother just a few weeks after 9/11 and still remember the stark contrast between the world before and after the terrorist attack.  On my trip after 9/11, security was not only stricter and more time consuming but there was clearly a climate of fear and anxiety that I had not experienced before.  Nevertheless, there was also a climate of greater national pride.  I distinctly remember the cabin bursting into applause when the plane landed safely and routinely.

Even so, reading these essays ("Everything Isn't Racial Profiling," "The FBI Is Reading Over Your Shoulder," and "How the USA Patriot Act Defends Democracy") expanded my view on the pre-9/11 world.  As a very young child, I was quite unaware of issues of national security or international relations.  Until recently, I never thought much about the reality of living in a world where the government can inspect so many of your day to day actions, nor did I really care.  My view was, and to some degree still is, 'sure the FBI can see what I search on the internet, or even listen to my phone calls if they truly believe I'm a threat, if they really care that much about my life, then they're just wasting their own time.'  Nevertheless, reading the essays defending and attacking the USA Patriot Act altered my view a little.  They cast a new light on the erie, slightly Orwellian and 'Big-Broter-esque' power our government possesses.

Interestingly enough, reading "Everything Isn't Racial Profiling" actually convinced me of the preponderance of racial profiling in our security systems, exactly the point the author was trying to argue against.  Although well meaning, to me, the measures seemed excessively discriminatory. I firmly believe that strong national security measures are necessary, however, I think that many of the ways our  government goes about achieving that national security are sometimes ill-conceived and can even be downright discriminatory,

No comments:

Post a Comment