Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Complaint

Some people are just plain obnoxious.  They have been disillusioned into believing that the rules do not apply to them.  They seem to think that their needs and desires are more important than everyone else's. They are rude and annoying but I have to deal with them.

Just a few days ago, I went to a movie.  Even after the public service announcement asking people to please turn off their cell phones, the woman in front of me would not stop texting.  She wasn't even trying to be discreet.  She held the phone right in front of his face and didn't even attempt to use her hand or jacket to shield the other movie goers from the blinding light of the screen.  Even though I found his actions annoying, I didn't say anything.  It was still the opening credits after all, I assumed she would put it away soon enough.  She did not.  She clearly believed that her conversation was more important than the rest of the audience's enjoyment of the film.

The scene of the complainer ranting at a tumultuous volume also comes to mind.   At a restaurant, I witnessed a man loudly complaining that his chicken was undercooked.  I did not doubt the validity of his concern, undercooked chicken is definitely not healthy, but I disapproved of the way he went about lodging his complaint.  First, he loudly called over his server: "Waitress. WAITRESSSS" he bellowed.  "Over here," he snapped his fingers twice.  The whole room fell silent, captivated by his audacity.  Even as she stood at his side, he continued to shout.  "My chicken is RAW," he practically screamed, he seemed to blame her for his undercooked food.  This scene went on for a few minutes, eventually the man insisted he see the manager, then the chef.  He refused to allow the chicken to be taken back and would not even accept his free meal.  Shouting something about calling the health department, the man eventually stormed out of the restaurant.  How rude! I couldn't help thinking.  Not only had the man ruined my appetite and wrecked the ambience of my meal, he had been incredibly mean to the wait staff, none of whom had any controlled of how his food was cooked.  I couldn't help but be angry at the man for destroying my peaceful evening with his tirades.  

Although I am almost constantly annoyed by obnoxious behavior and rude people, I rarely complain.  Perhaps because I fear making a scene and being deemed rude myself.  However, I think if someone politely told the texting woman or shouting man to stop, the other onlookers would be pleased rather than annoyed.   Many of us, myself included, tolerate other's annoying actions because we "don't want to be rude."  By remaining bystanders, we are allowing these obnoxious few to control us and ruin our experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment