Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Box Man" Discussion Debrief

1. I it was interesting to discuss rather the Box Man’s loneliness had always been a choice, or had recently become a choice to take away part of the sting of being alone.  I also learned that Ascher uses words with a positive connotation, like "lucky," to describe the Box Man's life while she uses more negative words ("drags") to describe the two lonely women. 
2. I wish we talked more about the effects of the contrasting diction used to describe the Box Man and the two women.  Although we noted the difference, we didn't discuss what the was the result of the contrast and how the author used it to achieve her purpose.  I think that it is a reflection of the Box Man's acceptance of his loneliness and peace he finds in the solitude which contrasts sharply with the two women's feelings on their loneliness. 

3. I wish I brought up my observation about the effect of the placement of Ascher's thesis.  By putting her thesis in the middle of the essay, Ascher allows the reader to come to their own similar conclusion about loneliness.  This gives the essay an effortless feel as it follows a more logical thought process which allows the reader to draw their own conclusions before being presented with the author's idea.

2 comments:

  1. I also found the discussion about whether the box man had a choice or not very interesting. I also agree with your observation about the placement of the thesis. I like how you compare it to a logical thought process; I had not thought of it in that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself questioned whether the Box Man's loneliness had always been a choice or not, it seems that he welcomes solitude but in the line where it states the mayor tried to help him, the author uses the word "paranoia" to describe the Box Man's feelings, so maybe he is afraid to embrace anything but solitude, I agree with you that it is very controversial whether his choice of solitude was intentional or not. I could very easily relate to your observation of the thesis, I agree that the placement is abnormal but proves a strong message.

    ReplyDelete